May Day Bread
- 1 envelope yeast
- 1/3 cup *real* maple syrup
- ¼ cup warm water (hottest water from the tap)
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup butter
- Dissolve yeast and maple syrup in the water.
- Mix 1.5 cups of flour with the brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and almonds.
- Cut in cold butter with a fork until the butter and flour mixture has lumps the size of peas.
- Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Slowly add more flour to the mix until the dough is just easy to handle.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 1 minute.
- Cover in a bowl and let rise for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Form into the final shape (makes one somewhat large loaf, or two smaller loaves).
- Cover and let rise for 30 min in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the loaf is brown and sounds hollow when you tap it.